- It improves and strengthens the Cardiovascular system of the body (improves oxygen supply to all parts of the body, including the heart, muscles and the brain).
- It improves muscular tone, muscular strength, muscular flexibility and muscular endurance.
- It improves posture and thereby appearance of a person looks better.
- It decreases the risk of chronic diseases like HBP, Diabetes, Arthritis etc.
- It has its good effects on mind as well.
- It increases the energy level and slows down the aging process.
- It strengthens the bones and keeps the joints strong.
- It helps speed-up recovery after and injury / disease / operation.
- It decreases the recovery time following a physical exertion.
- It eases the process of child bearing, child birth and recovery of muscle tones after that.
- It increases the efficiency of the sportsmen.
- It helps one get sound sleep.
- It improves sexual life.
- It helps fight diseases and also improves immune functions.
- It helps digestion, absorption and better utilization of the nutrients.
- It improves the quality of life.
GENERAL FITNESS ASSESSMENT :
Cardiovascular Endurance ( also known as VO2 max ):- Cardio vascular endurance, cardiovascular fitness, or aerobic fitness has been defined as the ability of the lungs, heart, and blood vessels to deliver adequate amounts of oxygen and nutrients to the cells to meet the demands of prolonged physical activity. As a person breathes, part of the oxygen contained in the air is absorbed in the lungs and transported to the heart by blood. The heart is then responsible for pumping the oxygenated blood through the circulatory system to all organs and tissues of the body. At the cellular level, oxygen is used to convert foods, primarily carbohydrates and fats, into energy necessary for physical activity, body functions, and to maintain a constant internal equilibrium.
Some examples of activities that promote cardiovascular or aerobic fitness are brisk walking, jogging, cycling, rowing, swimming, cross-country skiing, aerobic dance, soccer etc. A sound cardiovascular endurance program greatly contributes toward the enhancement and maintenance of good health.
Cardiovascular endurance is determined by the maximal amount of oxygen that the human body is able to utilize per minute of physical activity. This value is commonly expressed in milliliters of oxygen per kilogram of body weight per minute of physical activity (ml/kg/min). Since all tissues and organs of the body utilize oxygen to function, a higher amount of oxygen consumption indicates a more efficient cardiovascular system.
Step up and down on an 8 inch high box at a fast pace at a speed of 30 up/down in one minute. After one minute check the pulse. If he starts panting for breath, then he is required to improve his VO2 max (maximum volume of oxygen intake in one minute). He is therefore be advised some low level aerobic exercises like slow cycling or treadmill in the beginning.